July 11, 2008

Playing outside

I lived next to a main road (Otaika) when I was a kid growing up in Whangarei. The same house for the 1st 17 years of my life.

Now married with children of my own, we live next to a fairly busy road.


It's amazing how carefree we were as kids, and our parents must have been as well, to let us roam free. We didn't get into much trouble...


Well, not unless you count...


  1. My sister pushing her pushchair up the centre line of the aformentioned main road at 4 years of age.

  2. My mate and I hurling copious amounts of mandarins at cars travelling along the main road, then running and hiding when cars stopped.

  3. Walking up to the bush (500m away) and making 'mantraps' (grass tied together over the bush track).

  4. Lining the width of the road with rocks so cars either had to stop or run them over...heh heh heh.
See, just good wholesome fun.


As much as I liked TV when I was a kid, those times in front of the 'idiot box' (as my Dad would call it) are not my most treasured or powerful memories. Playing outside with my neighbours, running, jumping, skidding bikes and getting into trouble. Those were the good times! Not the TV.





So even though we have a small, steep section next to a busy road my kids are allowed to play outside. And they don't care because their imaginations are so big that the size of the section doesn't matter at all.


Getting dirty on the muddy winter lawn - that's what i'm talking about.


Happy kids enjoying themselves, learning, playing, exercising...nothing better. Well maybe a deep bubble bath full of toys at the end of a cold afternoons playing is a bit better. The kids seem to like it too.




Photos taken in summer...come back summer!

4 comments:

  1. Who needs TV when you have les' blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny Les! I remember my brother and his friends throwing grapefruit at cars then hiding, and stringing nylon across the road and somones wipers getting ripped off... those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That lady by the tv reminds me of your creepy gnome!

    ReplyDelete