July 17, 2008

A Coffin on Wheels

Leaning against my 1st car in my Black Supertaper Levi's, High Top Pony sneakers and sporting an emerging mullet, I felt like the Man.



For those in the know my first car was a 1975 Mazda RX2 Rotary. It had been pimped out old school styles and had an RX7 5-speed gear box. It pretty much had straight pipes and was as loud as you can get a car!


There are so many stories I could tell about this car...


...like travelling so fast the speedometer needle had gone past the 220km/hr mark and was jiggling about pointing straight down.


...my car being so loud the neighbours decided to trash it in their annoyance, slashing my seats and smearing pizza on the windows.


...cruising with the stereo blasting (the only way you could hear it the car was so loud) from Hamilton to Whangarei and back and absolutley being the fastest thing on the road. Needless to say this had numerous close calls.


Don't get me wrong, I wasn't always a hoon, just when I was behind the wheel.


I do want to focus on one story in particular regarding my beloved car. I will preface this story with my Mum's response when I showed her what I'd bought.


"Hey Mum, what do ya reckon about my new car?"


"It's a coffin on wheels son." (Mum's response)






That response didn't deter me from enjoying all that my new baby had to offer. But unfortunately it did prove to be somewhat prophetic.




I was 20 and was living in Hamilton (Waikato) New Zealand and was studying (yeah right) for what turned out to be a BSC majoring in Earth Sciences...useful I know!



I was enjoying life and partaking in all that the Waikato had to offer and had even worked on my mullet somewhat.



Yes that is my real hair!

So one particular evening I had been sucking on a Keg of Waikato's finest since lunch and decided that it was time to go and get takeaways for our evening meal.

"Jump in boys, let me show you what this baby's got!"

Alcohol + High powered vehicle + showing off attitude + wet road... equals...

This is not the real photo, but you get the idea. Bricks on the opposite side of the house had flown up to 30 m, I'd shifted the house off its foundations, totalled a NICE car, scared the elderly occupants of the house and landed myself in a whole heap of trouble.

No one was seriously hurt (thank you God)

A special thanks to my sister who helped me through the tough times that followed...big sisters are awesome.

Shame, loss, court, fines (big fines) and huge regret that i'd let people down and that my once pristine RX2 had almost become my coffin on wheels.

I love you Mum.

5 comments:

  1. Wow - you were blessed that you didn't die. Love the body wave in your hair... the girls will be envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les your hair! Wow is all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bru, thats one pristine alabama waterfall you had growing off the back of your skull. Golden and Glorious.

    ReplyDelete