January 17, 2011

Wassup with Splashing and Dashing?

My awesome wife has decided to compete in a Triathlon (see here). In the process she has inspired me to give this business a crack!

It started by reading Get Carter: The Hamish Carter Story by Phil Taylor. This was an easy read and an insightful biography that I thoroughly enjoyed reading.




I've been putting in a little training:
  1. Swimming in the hospital pool in my lunch breaks
  2. Jogging around Morningside Park
Now to put this stuff to the test. I had a browse here and thought the splash and dash sounded like a good start. A 300m swim followed by a 3.2 km run.

So after work today (17/1/2011) my wife, 3 kids and myself piled in the car and drove to Onerahi waterfront. On the way we picked up the pre-ordered Takeaways from Stumpy's - who by the way make the most amazing chicken burgers, and arrived in good time.

Usually $10 for non-members they hooked me up with a freebie - Cheers Whangarei Triathlon Club!

After the rest of my family ate dinner (I stole 2 fries and a nibble of my wife's chicken burger) we waited while the Lycra clad members of Whangarei's fitness underworld turned up. I was ready in my bright red 'boardies' that hung past my knees and my wife's swim goggles.

I was 2nd out of the water out of the 8 that were doing the short course (the long being twice as long) and into the transition. Dry feet, socks, shoes, t-shirt - done / off and running.

The run was straight up Cliff St, around the airport and down the super steep Hill St, before meandering along Beach Rd to the Foreshore again. I finished in 20:12 for Swim and run and came in second - Super Stoked!

Thanks to my inspirational wife - can't wait to be the support crew for your 'real' one in April.

YOU CAN DO IT!

4 comments:

  1. Symon said you put him to shame. Haha - well done Les!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done my fit and healthy Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo Hoo well done you. Free as well a great bonus for a money canny Lad:)
    Will we ever see you out in Lycra???? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done you!! (turns out you don't need the hideous lycra after all aye? haha)

    ReplyDelete