June 11, 2009

Wassup wit travelling gnomes?

The travelling gnome prank is a method of returning a garden gnome "to the wild". It involves stealing a gnome, taking it on a trip, and photographing it at famous landmarks with the photos being returned to the owner. There are many clubs and organizations dedicated to the prank; the best-known of these is the Garden Gnome Liberation Front.

Thanks for that insightful introduction Wikipedia.

This does sound like fun and I would love to do it but several obstacles seem to arise:
  1. Returning a gnome to the wild involves stealing, and I've read somewhere about that practice being frowned upon.

  2. The only other person with gnomes that I know of is my parents.

  3. Travel usually involves lots of $$$

  4. Gnomes would just be too heavy in your luggage.

Well funnily enough an opportunity arose for me to fly to San Francisco for very little money recently, and by very little I mean none. A friend suggested that I take a toy to photograph at 'famous' places.


This sounded almost as good as The aforementioned travelling gnome prank so I asked my daughter to pick a toy for me to take. She rushed off to her toy bins and selected her 'rainbow bunny'. I examined her choice:

  1. Light weight
  2. Cute looking
  3. Flexible for those difficult shots
  4. ...something about rainbows and San Francisco...

I know what I said, I'll take the Kiwi!

So here's a few of Kiwi's travels...


Kiwi checking out our sweet suite





Kiwi checking out the Golden Gate bridge - check out the surf

Kiwi posing around Coit tower

Kiwi sampling some fine Ghirardelli Chocolate

Kiwi atop the Crookedest Street - Lombard St.



Kiwi admiring depression era murals


Kiwi checking out the price tag - $2375.00 US


Kiwi running off the excess on the 'toddler treadmill'



Kiwi picks his favourite smelly



Yeah right Kiwi


Now you're dreaming



After a hard days travelling - he deserves it :)














5 comments:

  1. loving it! great pics les :) looks like an awesome trip for both you and kiwi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic Lesmond at his best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have taken your gnomes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are one hot traveller! (mere piyar not kiwi)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha, would be crack up if you did it to something of the cruickshanks, something that only tui would know about so it wouldnt be considered stealing... then have the pics flash up on the screen at church during the 3 min break.

    ReplyDelete