June 28, 2009

Wassup wit Deep Tissue Massage?


Today my wife and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary. According to the Customary gifts we should have given each other Bronze...nice!


Instead we dropped the kids off at Grandma and Poppa's and took off up North to Paihia (N.Z). While the kids went to Chipmunks (see here) and then to Pizza Hut (see here) we wound up at a Spa for some pampering that my wife booked.


"I can't remember if I ordered the Deep Tissue Massage or the Swedish Massage for you"


A Swedish Massage ranges from light to firm but in no way approaches the intensity of a Deep Tissue Massage.


As I found out a Deep Tissue Massage is aimed at the deeper tissue structures of the muscle and fascia, also called connective tissue. Apparently it shouldn't hurt and you should feel free to speak up if it gets uncomfortable.


Wish the masseuse had told me that. I took the stoic - squeeze backs the tears and bear it approach.


As I heard her finger joints clicking and popping with the pressure she applied I wondered if I would be permanently crippled or feel like the Six Million Dollar Man afterwards. I was hoping for the latter.


After the pummeling, I sat out on a couch and was advised to drink plenty of water to flush out the toxins released by such a vigorous beating. This I did and felt like the 5th little piggie.


Afterwards we had a 3 Course lunch at Pure Taste, which you can read about in my wife's upcoming Blog


My turn to choose next year! Happy Anniversary Merepyiar - I love you lots and lots.


3 comments:

  1. 5th little piggy cracked me up! Happy anniversary guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure you can "Choose" next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mental picture: Muppet's Swedish Chef giving Les massage while singing "Smørrebrød... burk burk burk"

    ReplyDelete