April 14, 2009

Wassup wit Flannelgraph?

I have very vague recollections of Flannelgraph at Sunday school - to be honest I think I bunked most classes. So to refresh my memory I went to a very reputable site, A.K.A Wikipedia.

Flannelgraph (sometimes called a flannel board) is a storytelling system that uses a board covered with flannel , usually resting on an easel. The flannel board is usually painted to depict a background scene appropriate to the story being told. Paper cutouts of characters and objects in the story are then placed on the board, and moved around, as the story unfolds. These cutouts are backed, either with flannel, or with some other substance that adheres lightly to the flannel background, such as coarse sandpaper.

Now my Mum is not slow to catch on to the latest fad, and being multi-talented can turn her hands to most things. So when she gestured excitedly to her latest creation I was more than a little intrigued.

Voila!! The latest fad, A.K.A The next big thing! (according to a very special 5 year old anyway) - Homemade Flannelgraph!



Thats me pointing to...me!





That's my little girl pointing to her favourite - a birdie!



My best mate (see here) is definately not slow to pick up on the latest fad either. Check out Flannelgraph 2009 styles!


So whether you have fond memories of Bible Stories being 'blinged up' with Flannel or you just like to wear the stuff, let's celebrate together the multi-useful medium that is Flannel!




I don't think so Tim.

4 comments:

  1. ha - that is sooooo funny! Les as flannelgraph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh the memories of home improvement! man if they brought out the box set on dvd id be there! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. but definitely good memories of mum using good ole flannelgraph to do bible in schools... go les!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "thats me pointing to me", classic. Nice touch with "Al" too. I always wanted them to reveal what Wilsons whole face actually looked like.. they didnt... but with all this new technology at our finger tips the possibilities are endless!! (if ur interested, "Earl Hindman" in google images will reveal the mystery)

    ReplyDelete